If you watched MADMEN, you heard Don Draper talk about advertising fundamentals Attention – Interest – Desire – Action. When I studied advertising we called it AIDA. AIDA is the fundamental of most advertising.
1 – get readers Attention – (often through a headline or picture)
2 – generate Interest – (talking about what is important to your reader)
3 – build Desire – (telling readers “what is in it for them”)
4 – tell them what Action you want ( call, send a resume, stop in, go to a website, etc.)
When posting your position on your website or job boards keep these points in mind.
If you are a well know company you have a great advantage in name recognition. This is also true of a very desirable industry. Example if DJ Auto Leasing is looking to hire several sales personnel VS FORD MOTORS is opening an office and looking for several outstanding sales representatives to join the FORD CORPORATION.
Of course FORD would get way more calls due to name recognition and expectations of joining a known and desirable company. This means you may need to take an extra step to get your readers to take an Action step.
Tell the readers of your posting :
– who you are
– why you are a terrific company to work for
– the benefits of your industry ( Example: As a professional Leasing Representative you can build a portfolio of loyal clients, grow it yearly, and allow your income to truly meet your potential!)
Here is an actual headline we used on our website for a leasing client:
“If you are seeking an exciting career for 2016 with a growing company
and booming industry then we may have your dream position!”
Here is the sub-headline:
“This is a unique career opportunity to build a portfolio of clients who will provide repeat business and the security that goes with it.”
Make sure your readers understand what’s in it for them regarding :
- Your company – (Why is it a great career choice for someone? A short narrative about your company, philosophy and devotion to serving your customers ).
- Your industry – (Remember the reader may not know much about your industry)
- Your position – ( Day to day work content, income and career potential , etc.)
Don Draper was correct, get their Attention, generate Interest, build Desire and lead them to the Action you want!
CEO / Automotive Personnel, LLC
Twitter : @DonJasensky
“We Find The People Who Drive The Automotive Industry Since 1989”