Different positions need different traits to succeed . For some positions personnel need to be creative to look for opportunities and resolve problems. Some positions it is more following policies and procedures diligently with little room for creativity.
All positions need personnel with determination !
Here are several tough questions to help you better determine the makeup of candidates you are interviewing.
- We all run into obstacles. Obstacles re-route a lot of people who lack determination. Tell me about obstacles you had to overcome in your career .
- If I said “you may not be ready for this job” Help me understand why I would be wrong.
- If I asked you if you would work for less money here than in current (or other ) position, what would you tell me and why?
- Tell me about the biggest mistake you made in your career and how you prospered from it.
- What do you do – beyond what the company requires you to do – to further your skills / abilities / knowledge?
- The best indicator of future performance is often past performance. If I said your work performance / career success doesn’t seem to match the talent and ability you talked about in this interview, what could you tell me to help me understand that?
- Tell me about the last time your manager criticized your work.
- No one is perfect, tell me about your weaknesses and what coping strategies do you have to overcome them.
- If you could change anything about your current position to significantly improve it, what would that be? (look for depth here)
- No one is perfect, what do you have to change about yourself to reach your goals ?
- What will I not like about you during your 1st 6 months here?
- No job is perfect, what part of this job do you think you will like the least?
- If you were brought into the board room to meet the Board of Directors and asked to give a 3 minute impromptu due speech, what are you qualified to talk about ? What are several points you would cover?
- What should we expect you to accomplish your first 90 days here?
CEO / Automotive Personnel, LLC
Twitter : @DonJasensky
“We Find The People Who Drive The Automotive Industry ”